Light soft moderately strong wood of spruce trees;
Used especially for timbers and millwork (synset 111645291)hypernym: wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of treessubstance meronym: spruce - any coniferous tree of the genus Picea
Any coniferous tree of the genus Picea (synset 111644982)
substance holonym: spruce - light soft moderately strong wood of spruce trees; used especially for timbers and millwork
- norway spruce, picea abies - tall pyramidal spruce native to northern Europe having dark green foliage on spreading branches with pendulous branchlets and long pendulous cones
- brewer's spruce, picea breweriana, weeping spruce - medium-sized spruce of California and Oregon having pendulous branches
- engelmann spruce, engelmann's spruce, picea engelmannii - tall spruce of Rocky Mountains and British Columbia with blue-green needles and acutely conic crown; wood used for rough lumber and boxes
- picea glauca, white spruce - medium-sized spruce of northeastern North America having short blue-green leaves and slender cones
- black spruce, picea mariana, spruce pine - small spruce of boggy areas of northeastern North America having spreading branches with dense foliage; inferior wood
- picea obovata, siberian spruce - tall spruce of northern Europe and Asia; resembles Norway spruce
- picea sitchensis, sitka spruce - a large spruce that grows only along the northwestern coast of the United States and Canada; has sharp stiff needles and thin bark; the wood has a high ratio of strength to weight
- oriental spruce, picea orientalis - evergreen tree of the Caucasus and Asia Minor used as an ornamental having pendulous branchlets
- colorado blue spruce, colorado spruce, picea pungens, silver spruce - tall spruce with blue-green needles and dense conic crown; older trees become columnar with lower branches sweeping downward
- eastern spruce, picea rubens, red spruce, yellow spruce - medium-sized spruce of eastern North America; chief lumber spruce of the area; source of pulpwood
Marked by up-to-dateness in dress and manners (synset 300975112)
"a dapper young man"; "a jaunty red hat"
Make neat, smart, or trim (synset 200294739)
"Spruce up your house for Spring"; "titivate the child"
Dress and groom with particular care, as for a special occasion (synset 200043009)
"He spruced up for the party"
Found on Word Lists
Find words of a similar nature on these lists: