A humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter (synset 106790941)
"he told a very funny joke"; "he knows a million gags"; "thanks for the laugh"; "he laughed unpleasantly at his own jest"; "even a schoolboy's jape is supposed to have some ascertainable point"hypernym: humor, humour, wit, witticism, wittiness - a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughterhyponym:
- belly laugh, howler, riot, scream, sidesplitter, thigh-slapper, wow - a joke that seems extremely funny
- blue joke, blue story, dirty joke, dirty story - an indelicate joke
- ethnic joke - a joke at the expense of some ethnic group
- funny, funny remark, funny story, good story - an account of an amusing incident (usually with a punch line)
- in-joke - a joke that is appreciated only by members of some particular group of people
- one-liner - a one-line joke
- shaggy dog story - a long rambling joke whose humor derives from its pointlessness
- sick joke - a joke in bad taste
- sight gag, visual joke - a joke whose effect is achieved by visual means rather than by speech (as in a movie)
- Restraint put into a person's mouth to prevent speaking or shouting (synset 103415650)
Prevent from speaking out (synset 202195389)
"The press was gagged"
Be too tight;
Rub or press (synset 201573390)"This neckband is choking the cat"
Tie a gag around someone's mouth in order to silence them (synset 201287286)
"The burglars gagged the home owner and tied him to a chair"
Make jokes or quips (synset 200855640)
"The students were gagging during dinner"synonym: quip
Struggle for breath;
Have insufficient oxygen intake (synset 200077451)"he swallowed a fishbone and gagged"
Cause to retch or choke (synset 200077359)
hypernym: sicken - make sick or illsynonym: choke
Make an unsuccessful effort to vomit;
Strain to vomit (synset 200077211)
Found on Word Lists
Find words of a similar nature on these lists: