A small amount of liquid food (synset 107594841)
"a sup of ale"synonym: sup
The act of swallowing (synset 100841439)
"one swallow of the liquid was enough"; "he took a drink of his beer and smacked his lips"hypernym: consumption, ingestion, intake, uptake - the process of taking food into the body through the mouth (as by eating)hyponym:
Small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations (synset 101597013)
- barn swallow, chimney swallow, hirundo rustica - common swallow of North America and Europe that nests in barns etc.
- cliff swallow, hirundo pyrrhonota - North American swallow that lives in colonies and builds bottle-shaped mud nests on cliffs and walls
- hirundo nigricans, tree martin, tree swallow - of Australia and Polynesia; nests in tree cavities
- iridoprocne bicolor, tree swallow, white-bellied swallow - bluish-green-and-white North American swallow; nests in tree cavities
- martin - any of various swallows with squarish or slightly forked tail and long pointed wings; migrate around Martinmas
Pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking (synset 201204494)
"Swallow the raw fish--it won't kill you!"hyponym: bolt - swallow hastilysynonym: get down
Engulf and destroy (synset 201086180)
"The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries"
Enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing (synset 201585330)
"The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter"
Utter indistinctly (synset 200943068)
"She swallowed the last words of her speech"
Take back what one has said (synset 200800738)
"He swallowed his words"
Keep from expressing (synset 200739357)
"I swallowed my anger and kept quiet"
Tolerate or accommodate oneself to (synset 200670723)
"I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions"; "I swallowed the insult"; "She has learned to live with her husband's little idiosyncrasies"hypernym: abide, bear, brook, digest, endure, put up, stand, stick out, stomach, suffer, support, tolerate - put up with something or somebody unpleasant
Believe or accept without questioning or challenge (synset 200603054)
"Am I supposed to swallow that story?"hypernym: believe - accept as true; take to be true
Found on Word Lists
Find words of a similar nature on these lists: