A law officer having duties similar to those of a sheriff in carrying out the judgments of a court of law (synset 110315612)
hyponym: air marshal, sky marshal - a person trained by the government in hijacking and terrorist tactics who (for security reasons) is a passenger aboard an airline flightinstance hyponym: hickock, james butler hickock, wild bill hickock - frontier marshal whose adventures have become legendary (1837-1876)synonym: marshall
(in some countries) a military officer of highest rank (synset 110315837)
domain category: armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nationhypernym: commissioned military officer - a commissioned officer in the Army or Air Force or Marine Corpshyponym: field marshal - an officer holding the highest rank in the armyinstance hyponym:
- baron hugh caswall tremenheere dowding, dowding, dowdy, hugh dowding - British marshal of the RAF who commanded the British air defense forces that defeated the Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain (1882-1970)
- bomber harris, harris, sir arthur travers harris - British marshal of the Royal Air Force; during World War II he directed mass bombing raids against German cities that resulted in heavy civilian casualties (1892-1984)
- duc d'elchingen, michel ney, ney - French marshal in the Napoleonic Wars (1769-1815)
- comte de saxe, hermann maurice saxe, marshal saxe, saxe - a French marshal who distinguished himself in the War of the Austrian Succession (1696-1750)
Place in proper rank (synset 201992339)
"marshal the troops"
Arrange in logical order (synset 201362900)
"marshal facts or arguments"
Make ready for action or use (synset 200271014)
- Lead ceremoniously, as in a procession (synset 202004789)
Found on Word Lists
Find words of a similar nature on these lists: