The rising of a body of water and its overflowing onto normally dry land (synset 111475008)
"plains fertilized by annual inundations"hypernym: geological phenomenon - a natural phenomenon involving the structure or composition of the earthhyponym:
- debacle - flooding caused by a tumultuous breakup of ice in a river during the spring or summer
- flash flood, flashflood - a sudden local flood of great volume and short duration
- noachian deluge, noah and the flood, noah's flood, the flood - (Biblical) the great deluge that is said in the Book of Genesis to have occurred in the time of Noah; it was brought by God upon the earth because of the wickedness of human beings
An overwhelming number or amount (synset 113797906)
"a flood of requests"; "a torrent of abuse"hypernym: batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, mountain, muckle, passel, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad - (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
Light that is a source of artificial illumination having a broad beam;
Used in photography (synset 103370220)part meronym: photographic equipment - equipment used by a photographer
A large flow (synset 100330645)
hyponym: effusion - flow under pressure
The act of flooding;
Filling to overflowing (synset 101260222)hypernym: filling - the act of filling somethingsynonym: flowage
The occurrence of incoming water (between a low tide and the following high tide) (synset 107417630)
"a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune"hypernym: tide - the periodic rise and fall of the sea level under the gravitational pull of the moon
Fill quickly beyond capacity;
As with a liquid (synset 201527311)"the basement was inundated after the storm"; "The images flooded his mind"
Cover with liquid, usually water (synset 200217578)
"The swollen river flooded the village"; "The broken vein had flooded blood in her eyes"
Supply with an excess of (synset 202361703)
"flood the market with tennis shoes"; "Glut the country with cheap imports from the Orient"
Become filled to overflowing (synset 200453175)
"Our basement flooded during the heavy rains"
Found on Word Lists
Find words of a similar nature on these lists:
- Events ("What?")
- Nouns denoting acts or actions
- Nouns denoting man-made objects
- Nouns denoting natural events
- Nouns denoting natural phenomena
- Nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- Verbs of buying, selling, owning
- Verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- Verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging