Wading and swimming and diving birds of either fresh or salt water (synset 101847558)
hypernym: bird - warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrates characterized by feathers and forelimbs modified as wingshyponym:
- water bird, waterbird, waterfowl - freshwater aquatic bird
- swan - stately heavy-bodied aquatic bird with very long neck and usually white plumage as adult
- wader, wading bird - any of many long-legged birds that wade in water in search of food
- gallinule, marsh hen, swamphen, water hen - any of various small aquatic birds of the genus Gallinula distinguished from rails by a frontal shield and a resemblance to domestic hens
- sea bird, seabird, seafowl - a bird that frequents coastal waters and the open ocean: gulls; pelicans; gannets; cormorants; albatrosses; petrels; etc.